Sunday, August 21, 2011

Stupid Nasty Mondays

Believe it or not, I’ve been working on this post since the beginning of July. It was actually Sunday, and my first legit day off in about five days. I was catching up on my blog reading, and read a post called “A Case of the Mondays”. Now, I’m a college student, and I understand the difficulty of getting up on Monday after a weekend of late nights and partying. It sucks. Especially if you have an 8 or 9am class like I do. They’re typically my “sweat days” where I slip on a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt, pull my hair into a pony, and schluff off to class. That’s when inspiration hit me. What can I do to make Mondays seem a little bit better? Or make it look like I’m wide awake and ready to go when I really just want to crawl back under the covers until lunch?

So, this Monday idea started nagging at me, and once I have an idea, my OCD rears its ugly head and won’t let me stop dwelling on it until I take care of it. So, there I sat typing, typing, typing. The only reason I didn’t post this straight away was because it was summer, and it seemed redundant to post a school-themed article when no one was in school. Now finally, it’s here! Whoo!


So here follows some tips on how to survive a Monday:


1. Get Some Sleep:
It’s rather well-known that it’s recommended for most adults to get an average of 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Personally, I get maybe 4 or 5, 6 if I’m lucky. My fellow college students probably have the same inane sleep schedule that I do: go to bed at 3, 4 in the morning every night, and get up the next day a half hour before class starts. Terrible, I know, but true. My advice here is to get as much sleep as you can. Go to bed earlier on Sunday night than you would on Friday or Saturday. Believe me, an extra hour or two truly makes a difference in your ability to get out of bed.

2. Wash Your Face:
If you’re not a morning-shower person (I am not!), simply wipe your face with a cool, clean wet washcloth. The cool water will awaken your senses and jumpstart your alertness. Plus, it’ll remove any oil build up from the night before.

3. Simple Makeup for a Wide Awake Look:
If you’re simply not in the mood for full-face makeup or don’t have time, fear not. Taking a few essential things can really transform you into a bright, alert student. A healthy appearance is key. (1) Take your regular concealor and apply it to your undereyes to hide any dark circles and then apply to any areas of your face that have acne or discoloration. An even skin tone will make you look healthy and fresh. You can also add a face powder to further create a smooth appearance. (2) Use your concealor on your eyelids—this will fix any darkness and make your eyes appear brighter. You can also use an eye shadow that’s a shade or two lighter than your natural skin tone. (3) Apply a white eyeliner to your water line and tear duct; this will make your eyes appear wider and more awake. (4) Curl your eyelashes and use your favorite mascara. This instantly makes your eyes seem wider, plus it’s naturally pretty. (5) Use a bright pink blush on the apples of your cheeks to give yourself a healthy, rosy glow. (6, optional) Apply a neutral, super shiny lipgloss. Added shine will make your lips seem fuller and healthier.

4. Pull Your Hair Back:
When I wake up at 7:30 on a Monday, the last thing I want to do is mess with my hair (sometimes I don’t even feel like brushing it. Shh, don’t tell anyone!). Instead of putting it up in a messy ponytail, do a half-up style or a simple side braid. Pulling your hair out of your face will make you appear alert, focused, and a lot more put together.

5. Pre-Plan Your Outfit:
I know that when I’m running on 4 hours of sleep, I don’t feel like dressing cute. The good ol’ sweats and sweatshirt fly out of the closet and I’m good to go (hey at least they aren’t pajama pants!). After all, I can just change after class, right? Well, in order to avoid the just-rolled-out-of-bed-and-went-to-class look, plan your outfit the night before. Pick out your clothes, shoes, even accessories Sunday night and lay them out on your desk chair. This way, you can get dressed while still being half asleep and still look great!

6. Eat Something:
Now I’m one of those people who never eat breakfast. Believe me, I consider a Coke Zero breakfast. But, I’ve found that just eating an apple or banana can give you a bit of a boost in the energy department. Plus, eating breakfast will jumpstart your metabolism. If you’re a caffeine addict like me, nab your favorite soda or a cup of java to get that caffeine rush you know you need. You do need to eat/drink something before you head to class or even in class if its permitted. After all, a car can’t run without fuel (terrible cliché, I know).

7. Pop Some Mints or Gum:
Mint has natural cooling properties, which will invigorate your mouth, causing you to wake up a bit more. Plus, gum will help clean off some of last night’s plaque build-up, giving you a freshly brushed feeling.

8. Listen to Music:
Turn on that iPod! Music will help your brain get moving, and you’ll feel less drowsy. Instead of just jumping to some heavy metal with the volume on full blast, gradually work your way up to it. Start with something calming, then add to the energy level of each following song. By gradually increasing the tempo and volume of your playlist, you’ll be giving your body time to adjust, instead of shocking it with stimuli overload.


I hope these tips are helpful to anyone. They have been tried and tested by yours truly, and are the main reasons I survived Mondays last year.



What are your “wake up” tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment