Thursday, December 8, 2011

Battle of the Brands: Twist-Up Eyeliner

Hey guys! Today I'm going to be doing a combination product review/battle of the brands comparing the Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof eyeliner, Maybelline Unstoppable eyeliner, and Covergirl Perfect Point Plus eyeliner. All three liners are similar in price and are twistable liners with a similar amount of product, so I thought a product comparison would be fun to do.

As I said, these are all similar products. They have the same twist-up action and the same amount of product. Both the Rimmel and Covergirl liners have a smudger on the bottom (which I don't use), and the Rimmel's smudger pulls off to reveal a sharpener (which I do use). The Rimmel and Maybelline have the same twist-up action, while the Covergirl sort of clicks up when you twist it, limiting the amount of product you can expose.

Here are their points (L-R: Rimmel, Maybelline, Covergirl). Both the Rimmel and Maybelline liners have the same thickness on top (in the picture, the Maybelline is sharpened). The Covergirl is slightly thinner and more fine-tipped.

Here they are swatched (Top-Bottom: Rimmel, Maybelline, Covergirl). The Covergirl liner appears the most opaque and has the deepest black color, followed by the Maybelline and then Rimmel.

Here I rubbed them out to see how they blend. As You can see, the Maybelline blended the best, followed by the Rimmel and then Covergirl. This could be both good and bad. Easy blendability usually means that smudging is more likely to occur, but it also helps when you're going for a smoky look.

Finally, I rubbed the liner with water to see how they held up. The Maybelline surprisingly held the best, followed by Rimmel, then Covergirl. I was a little disappointed with the Rimmel since it's supposed to be water-resistant.

Overall, I would declare Maybelline the winner. It has great pigmentation, good opacity, blends easily, and is the most water-resistant. I think the Rimmel and Covergirl liners tie for second. I like Covergirl's better color and the finer tip, but I also like Rimmel's blendability and the fact that it comes with a sharpener.


Let me know which liner you prefer! I hope this helps you with your next hunt through the beauty aisle!

No comments:

Post a Comment