Monday, June 16, 2014

Review: Mussel & Burger Bar, Louisville, KY

I recently got home after a week and a half long vacation where I road tripped to Kansas City, St Louis, and Louisville. The aspiring foodie that I am, I managed to sample a few places along the way that were truly phenomenal and I thought I'd spread the word.

First off is the Mussel & Burger Bar in Jeffersontown, a suburb of Louisville, KY. Sitting in my hotel room after a 4+ hour drive, I was starving, but had no idea where to go. Up comes the Google machine, and one of the first restaurants to pop up was the M&BB. I saw stellar reviews and the menu looked awesome, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I was seated immediately and my server was incredibly nice. The place has a very cozy upscale-bar feel--you're eating on brown paper table clothes and there are mega screens broadcasting the current baseball game, yet there are candles on every table and your food is served on little cutting boards. Very stylish.

I didn't get a picture of my food, but this is what I ordered.
Pic from Mike N on UrbanSpoon
I ordered the BBB or Bacon Breakfast Burger, aka the greatest burger of all freaking time! You got your typical cheeseburger, but then they take it to new heights with maple syrup aioli, maple syrup-glazed pork belly, and a sunny side up egg. Oh. My. Lanta. Pair it with sweet potato fries, and maple syrup aioli and smoked pineapple dipping sauces, and you're set.

It. Was. Soooooooooooo. Good. Oh my. The aioli is enough of a sell point, but mixed with the saltiness of the burger, cheese, and pork belly, and the tang of egg, it was a perfect mix. The smoked pineapple dipping sauce is a-fucking-mazing. Straight up. I could drink this stuff. And paired with sweet potato fries, it's even better. Seriously, go for the pineapple sauce alone.

I paired my burger with a Dragonfly IPA. I don't know what an IPA is, and I ordered this one because it was the cheapest drink on the menu. Sue me. Let me state for the record that I'm not a beer person, especially a light beer person. I prefer my Guinness and assorted stouts and porters if possible, but I'm also a cheapskate. The beer wasn't that bad, and tasted good with a burger. 'Nuff said.


My meal (plus tip) ended up around 20 bucks. Not bad at all for the food quality. Most of the burgers fall into the 12-14 dollar range, and they also have an assortment of sandwiches, salads, and meal plates. I don't know beers, but their wine list had a fairly good variety, albeit a little pricey per glass.

Overall, this place was awesome! I highly recommend it, and I will most certainly be coming back if I find myself in the Louisville region again.

Rating: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment